Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Fad Diets

What is the latest fad diet? South beach and Atkins diets are both old news. The most recent that I have heard of is the grapefruit juice and cayenne pepper diets. I'm sure that there are more that I don't know about.

If you love to diet, then keep of following these diets because you will be doing them forever. They have the yo-yo effect. You lose a few pounds and then when you stop you gain it all back. Then you try a new diet and it happens all over again. It is POINTLESS, and UNHEALTHY!

Fad diets usually prevent you from consuming essential parts of a healthy diet. Everybody needs to get some carbs, protein, and fat into their meals every day. The Atkins diet eliminates carbs. The juice diet eliminates protein and fat. These are all key ingredients for optimal health!

Healthy dieting: Take a step back and think about the things you are eating. Try to LIMIT consumption of high calorie foods. Don't ELIMINATE them completely because that will just lead to failure. I know that no matter how much I want to stop eating ice cream, I will always come back to it. If I allow a small bowl every once in a while, then I can control myself.

Common high calorie foods: Cheese, beef, fried foods. Any time you add butter or oil to a food, you know the calorie count is going way up. Cheese and high fat meats have about 100 kcals/oz. A deck of cards is the size of 3 oz. of meat.

Low calorie foods: Poultry, fat free cottage cheese, and vegetables. Skinless poultry has only 35 kcals/oz! Vegetables have only 25 kcals/cup if they are raw, and 25 kcals/half cup if cooked! These low calorie foods have lots of bulk, so you eat just a little and get full fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment