Saturday, March 14, 2009

Eating During a Ride

Cyclists must eat during a long ride so they have enough fuel. Otherwise they will hit the wall, which feels horrible and even worse, muscle becomes the major fuel because carbs in your blood are in low supply.

What foods are good in the middle of a ride?
You want something low in fat, protein, and fiber. You want the snack to be high carb, and as refined as possible. This way there is no delay in digestion. Refined carbs are digested so quickly that they practically go straight to your blood stream and can be used for fast fuel. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water with it because food decreases the absorption of water, and can dehydrate you.

Examples:
Bagels, tortillas, crackers, bread, sandwich (with limited peanut butter, meat, cheese, mayo, etc), and pancakes.

YES! I said PANCAKES! They are my favorite mid ride snack. I make them the night before and freeze them. In the morning I put them in my back pocket and start riding. They thaw out pretty quickly, they don't mash up, they don't get stale, and they stay tasting good! I have IHOP in my pocket! Pancakes are made with totally refined flour, and have very little egg and oil. They are perfect. I don't even keep them in a bag. They just stay right in my pocket. Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment